Monday, February 16, 2009

Made it to Yellowknife!


We arrived in Yellowknife yesterday after a (very) long day of flying. My morning started at 1:30 am catching the Airporter from London to Toronto where I met up with Cristen, Pierre and Stacy. We then flew to Calgary and on to Yellowknife. We got in during the afternoon when it was still bright and sunny. I had expected it to be dark by the time we got there, but it was not, so there was time to go for a walk. We went downtown, then towards old town, and then up a big hill so that we could look out over the whole area and see the last of our sunshine for awhile. It's really pretty here, and there are lots of trees. In fact, it reminds me a lot of the drive from the Halifax airport into the city with the rolling hills and the pines.

We popped into some galleries and art shops on the way back and saw lots of stone carvings and guilt-free local Canadian diamonds. My nose was numb by the time we got back into town for supper, but thanks to my -100 C boots, my toes were still warm!

After supper (delicious sushi) we walked back to the hotel and on the way, saw some aurora! Very green and very pretty. I'd been a bit worried that since I was only going to be in Yellowknife for one night that I would miss it, but I'm glad to say that I got to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment